A competent and dynamic health workforce at the heart of each health system is essential to advance global health goals. Countries need to have a pool of health professionals who are trained and exposed to the systems and processes in the health sector and understand how stakeholders interact within the international health arena.
WHO as the leader in global public health issues is committed to building a diverse pool of future leaders in public health. WHO’s Internship Programme offers a wide range of opportunities for graduate and postgraduate students to gain insight in the technical and administrative programmes of WHO while enriching their knowledge and experience in the health field, thereby contributing to the advancement public health.
What are the Objectives?
– Provide a framework for assigning postgraduate students from diverse academic backgrounds to WHO programmes that can enhance their educational experience through practical assignments.
– Expose students to the work of WHO.
– Provide WHO programmes with input from students specializing in various fields. Most students are placed in health-related programmes, although other disciplines can be considered as appropriate such as communication, external relations or human resources.
The duration of WHO internships is between six to twenty four weeks depending on the needs of the WHO technical unit and the intern’s availability.
Who we are looking for?
– You are at least twenty years of age on the date of application.
– You are enrolled in a course of study at a university or equivalent institution leading to a formal qualification (graduate or postgraduate) (applicants who have already graduated may also qualify for consideration provided that they apply to the internship within six months after completion of their formal qualification).
– You have completed three years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution prior to commencing (bachelor’s level or equivalent) the assignment.
– You possess a first degree in a public health, medical or social field related to the technical work of WHO or a degree in a management-related or administrative field.
– You are not related to a WHO staff member (e.g., son/daughter, brother/sister, or mother/father).
– You are fluent at least in one of the working language of the office of assignment.
– You have not previously participated in WHO’s Internship Programme.
– You hold a valid passport of a WHO Member State.
How to apply?
Candidates from across the world are invited to express interest in specific areas of work and organizational locations (regional offices, country offices or headquarters).
All applications should be made through the vacancies posted on the WHO Careers site using the WHO corporate recruitment system (Stellis).
Update on Application process
Internships opportunities with WHO are currently limited due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and the confinement measures in place in several countries.
Offers may resume depending on the evolution of the pandemic in each duty station. Please monitor the Internship Vacancies page to have more information.
We thank students for their understanding and encourage them to stay safe at home
Official Link: https://www.who.int/careers/internships/en/
As of January 2020, WHO provides stipends to students who need support. After selection, the interns will fill a disclosure form to indicate if they already have support (grant / scholarships, etc.). Based on this disclosure form, WHO will provide stipends up to a specific amount per duty station. The amount will be indicated for each position the students apply to.
WHO provides to all interns a medical and accident insurance. All costs of travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the intern candidate.
WHO internship programme in Regional Offices and WHO Headquarters
WHO has a Internship Vacancies where candidates from across the world are invited to express interest in specific areas of work and organizational locations (regional offices, country offices or headquarters).
If you want additional information on WHO’s internship programme in our Regional Offices or Headquarters, please refer to the website of the respective office.
- WHO Headquarters
- WHO Regional Office for Africa (email)
- WHO Regional Office for the Americas
- WHO Regional Office for Europe
- WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean
- WHO Regional Office for South-East Asia
- WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific